What is heavy metal poisoning?

Heavy metals are are elements that are naturally found in the earth. They’re used in many modern-day applications, such as agriculture, medicine, and industry.

Your body even naturally contains some. Zinc, iron, and copper, for example, are necessary for regular body function, as long as they aren’t present in toxic amounts.

Heavy metal poisoning occurs when your body’s soft tissues absorb too much of a particular metal.

The most common metals that the human body can absorb in toxic amounts are:

  • mercury
  • lead
  • cadmium
  • arsenic

You might be exposed to high concentrations of these metals from food, air or water pollution, as well as medicine, food containers with improper coating, industrial exposure, or lead-based paint.

In the United States, heavy metal poisoning is very rare. It only occurs when you’ve been exposed to a significant amount of heavy metal, usually over a long period of time. But the popularity of over-the-counter (OTC) products that claim to detoxify your body of heavy metals can make it seem more common than it is.

Read on to learn more heavy metal poisoning and whether those OTC detox kits offer any benefits.

What are the symptoms of heavy metal poisoning?

The symptoms of heavy metal poisoning vary, depending on the type of metal involved.

General symptoms

Common symptoms across several types of heavy metal poisoning include:

  • diarrhea
  • nausea
  • abdominal pain
  • vomiting
  • shortness of breath
  • tingling in your hands and feet
  • chills
  • weakness

Children with heavy metal poisoning may have unusually formed or weakened bones. Pregnant people may also have a miscarriage or deliver prematurely.

Metal-specific symptoms

Certain types of heavy metal poisoning can cause additional symptoms. Here’s a look at the symptoms linked to some of the most common types.

Mercury poisoning symptoms:

  • lack of coordination
  • muscle weakness
  • hearing and speech difficulties
  • nerve damage in your hands and face
  • vision changes
  • trouble walking

Lead poisoning symptoms:

  • constipation
  • aggressive behavior
  • sleep problems
  • irritability
  • high blood pressure
  • loss of appetite
  • anemia
  • headaches
  • fatigue
  • memory loss
  • loss of developmental skills in children

Arsenic poisoning symptoms:

  • nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
  • red or swollen skin
  • spots on your skin, such as warts or lesions
  • unusual heart rhythm
  • muscle cramps

Cadmium poisoning symptoms:

  • fever
  • breathing problems
  • muscle pain
What causes heavy metal poisoning?

Heavy metals can enter your body in different ways. You might consume them in the food you eat or absorb them through your skin, for example.

Here’s how you might be exposed to various heavy metals. Keep in mind that heavy metal poisoning occurs with heavy or frequent exposure, usually over a long period of time. Occasional exposure won’t lead to heavy metal poisoning.


  • working near a hazardous waste site
  • living in an area that has high levels in rocks, water, and soil
  • ingesting insecticides, pesticides, or herbicides
  • eating contaminated seafood or algae
  • drinking contaminated water


  • working in an industrial setting, especially one where ore is processed or smelted
  • welding on alloys that contain cadmium or using silver solders
  • inhaling cigarette smoke


  • living in a home with high levels of lead-based paint
  • doing industrial construction work, radiator repair, or smelter operations
  • being in firing ranges
  • using kohl cosmetics
  • applying progressive hair dyes, though the U.S. Food and Drug AdministrationTrusted Source (FDA) is working to change this
  • using foreign digestive remedies, calcium products, kohl, surma, kajal, or progressive hair dyes


  • mining, producing, or transporting mercury
  • mining and refining gold and silver ores
  • consuming contaminated fish or water
  • manufacturing mirrors, X-ray machines, incandescent lights, or vacuum pumps

While anyone can develop heavy metal poisoning, children are more vulnerable to it, particularly lead poisoning. Older homes sometimes contain lead paint. If a child touches a wall with lead paint before touching their mouth, for example, they may be exposed. This can lead to brain damage, since their brains are still developing.

Still, according to the National Organization for Rare Disorders, the number of children with signs of potentially harmful lead levels has dropped by 85 percent over the last 20 years.

SOURCE: https://www.healthline.com/health/heavy-metal-poisoning#causes